Tuesday, October 12, 2004

"Hey, we're a star!"


star
Originally uploaded by Angelojohn.

This morning I was interviewed about the Game of Games by Stephen Jacobs, Professor of Information Technology at Rochester Institute of Technology and host of a show called What the Tech. Been a while since I'd done any voice PR so I was a bit rusty. My five minutes of airwaves exposure kicked in the memory of previous days and tricks I used to get on radio or TV. It is kind of a lifestyle and, to work, needs to be part of a regular routine. What it involves is endlessly recycling clips, audio tapes, video tapes -- any PR about you. Polishing these off and sending targeted cover letter(s). Leveraging every media appearance or mention into other, better media appearances or mentions. Repeating this endlessly.

In the internet, niche-market age, there are more outlets than ever before. With attention spans contracting in response to ever-expanding streams of information (and advertising), it is difficult to be successful without knowing how to play this game. But the rules fortunately areen't that difficult to master. It's more about persistence and confidence than anything else.

Of course, I can hear you smirking now: "Hey, if you're so smart, why aren't you rich?!"


Click here to go back to my homepage.


No comments: